Getting braces to fix your teeth into position is fantastic. However, when they are fixed into your mouth by your orthodontist, you may feel like you need to add something to them to make them more appealing.
Generally, to make the braces more appealing when you smile, you can decorate them with colors. Moreover, you can change the colors every time you go in to see the Orthodontist if you wish.
Planning The Look You Want
The look you will choose with your braces is based on your preference. You can choose to put your favorite color on the braces, or you can choose to put a particular color that will coordinate with a specific outfit. Ideally, the options of the colors you can add to your braces are many.
However, some colors stand out, and also give a superb appearance to most braces. Here’s some tips from Sturbridge Orthodontics:
- Choose gold, dark blue, pink, orange, turquoise, green, or violet to complement darker skin tones.
- Choose light blue, bronze, dark purple or subdued reds and pinks to complement lighter skin tones.
- Find a color that will set off your eye color…
- How about the colors of your school team?
- Better yet – how about the colors of your favorite sports team??
- Opt for red, white, and blue for Patriotic holidays!
- Go for red and green around Christmas!
- Glow-in-the-dark bands are fun for Halloween.
- Avoid black (can make your teeth look like they are rotting), white (your teeth can look yellow in comparison), green or brown (looks like food caught in your braces).
What You Can or Can’t Do to Your Braces
When you have your braces on, there are several things you should do, and there are also several things you shouldn’t do. Ideally, your orthodontist is supposed to give you a list of the things you should and shouldn’t do. Furthermore, the more you stay with your braces, the more you will learn about everything that needs to get done.
You will know what makes the braces hurt, and what makes the wires to break as well.
What NOT To Do
• Don’t chew ice. When you have braces on, it is not advisable to chew ice. It is because ice is hard and cold, which may make it bend the wire of the brace when you chew it. Moreover, it could also break off a brace bracket, which is very painful, and you may have to visit your orthodontist.
• Don’t chew gum. Primarily, when you are wearing braces, it would be best to stay away from any sticky food, especially gum. It is because the gum may stick inside your mouth damaging the braces.
Mostly, when you chew the gum, you are stressing your braces, which may make them break, and move out of their alignment, making it incredibly painful to you.
• Don’t forget to floss. Forgetting to floss, especially when you have braces on, can be fatal. Generally, it could mean severe problems that may damage your teeth, and affect how the braces work. When you do not floss, food particles may get stuck between the teeth, and they will create bacteria that will eat your teeth, which affects how your braces work.
• Don’t forget to remove the bands when eating. Bands are supposed to help you move your jaws, but it is essential to take them out when eating. The bands are likely to break when you are eating, and it could cause intense pain.
• Don’t drink sugary or carbonated beverages. When you take in too much sugar and carbon when you have braces in your mouth, you will damage the glue that holds the braces onto your teeth. Thus, while you are wearing braces, it would be best to protect your teeth from sugar, acid, and carbon
What You Should Do
• Brush your teeth. When you have braces on, you have to ensure that you brush your teeth always. Food particles can get easily trapped in the wires and brackets. It may cause bacteria to get released to your teeth leading to teeth decay, or it may cause other problems to your teeth.
• Floss daily. Flossing is essential when you have braces. Ensure that you floss thoroughly between your teeth, and between the braces’ wires to ensure that there is no food trapped.
• Attend all orthodontic appointments. Ensure that you attend all the orthodontic appointments for proper care of your braces. When you visit your orthodontist, he will adjust the wires accordingly, make sure that you do not have any decay, and generally assess your progress. So be sure to attend every appointment as they are essential.
Tips to Keep Your Braces at Their Best
You can do several things to ensure that your braces are at their best, and are effectively serving their purpose.
• Clean the brackets and wires thoroughly. When it comes to cleaning your braces, don’t leave any stone unturned. Ensure that you clean each bracket and wire thoroughly to clear away any food particle on the surface.
• Stop using your teeth as a tool. Many people have the habit of opening bottle tops with teeth. It is usually a bad idea, and it could have adverse effects on the teeth of an individual. When you open a bottle with your teeth, especially when you have braces, it could damage your brackets, which could be extremely painful.
• Wear a mouthguard when playing sports. When you are playing any sport, it would be best to protect your braces by wearing a mouthguard. Ensure that you wear a mouthguard that is made explicitly for braces because they offer optimal protection to the braces.
• Watch the food you eat. When you have braces on, it would be best for you to avoid sticky foods, and avoid foods that are difficult to chew like hard kernels, for instance. You should only eat foods that are soft, and not sticky to avoid damaging your brackets.
Maintenance of your oral health is essential when wearing braces. If you have excellent oral hygiene, you will have an easier time with braces in your mouth. Additionally, ensure that you also follow all the instructions that are given to you by your orthodontist.