Braces are expensive and you’re always going to be looking for ways to save some money. Dental wax is a common product that brace wearers use to protect their mouths and keep braces in tiptop shape. However, in an effort to save money or for convenience, is it safe to reuse dental wax?
The answer is no, it’s not safe to reuse dental wax. While it’s fine if you’re in a pinch and there’s no other alternative for a short while, don’t make it a practice to reuse dental wax.
What is Dental Wax?
Dental wax is a gum protector used to cover the braces’ protruding wires to create a smooth surface. New braces can create an uncomfortable feeling to anyone, but with the use of the dental wax, the scratchy feeling will be relieved. When a brace wire breaks, you should apply dental wax on it. It will prevent the wire from poking you while you are waiting for an appointment with your orthodontist.
You can use dental wax, whether you are a child or an adult. Dental wax is soft and harmless. Therefore, anyone with braces can use it to cover the protruding wires and give their braces a smooth surface.
The following are why dental wax is an excellent and helpful tool in managing your braces efficiently.
Why Dental Wax Is Recommended
• Easy to use. Dental wax is not hard to use, and it can be used to fix any malfunction. While it works well for braces, it can also be used for other dental uses. Besides, dental wax is odorless and colorless, making it discreet hence, nobody can know when you have used it.
Moreover, some dental waxing substances are flavored, which contributes to a soothing sensation once you use them. Using it entirely is simple because all you have to do is stick it to the affected area.
• Effective in fixing a broken brace wire. When your brace malfunctions and breaks, the wax can be able to hold it temporarily until you visit the orthodontist. It will help in relieving the pain and preventing the wires from injuring your gums.
Moreover, they can also be used to repair dentures that have been damaged, which may be creating a pointy edge that may damage your mouth tissues.
• Efficient in Relieving Discomfort. While a new brace may work as intended, it may sometimes cause discomfort to the patient. Orthodontic wax is effective in relieving the discomfort and ease the adjustments.
• Safe. Dental wax is safe for anybody to use. While some particles of the wax may be ingested, they cause no harm to you. It will disintegrate after some time, and you will need to reapply.
Can You Eat With Dental Wax in Your Mouth?
Yes, you can eat with the dental wax on because it is safe to swallow. Ideally, it was made harmless and non-toxic because you have to put it inside your mouth. The dental wax was meant to be swallowed because, over time, your saliva causes it to wear-off, and you can’t even notice. Therefore, you end up swallowing it most of the time without even noticing it yourself.
So generally, there is no harm if you eat while you have dental wax in your mouth. Additionally, most dental waxes are flavorless, but some have a mint added flavors, so they are not disgusting.
Why Is It Wrong To Reuse Dental Wax?
It would be best if you always replaced your dental wax. Don’t let it stay in your mouth for more than two days. It is because most of the bacteria in your mouth may be stick on your dental wax, which may cause you to develop bad breath. Moreover, you should make sure that you brush off the remaining wax even after your saliva does most of the work in removing it.
The longer the wax stays in your mouth, the more it poses a threat to your oral health. It may trap a lot of bacteria that may end up affecting your teeth or gums. You should note that a severe gum infection may bring a lot of challenges to the overall well being of a person. For starters, severe inflammation of the gums may lead to cardiovascular disorders.
Additionally, orthodontic wax is reasonably cheap, and there is no reason for reusing it. In fact, in some cases, the orthodontist may even give it to you for free after setting up your braces. Therefore, there is no need to reuse it because once you put the wax on your braces, they will eventually crumble and fall off.
It means that even when you try to reuse it, it will fall off faster, and will not have the same effect as when you used them for the first time. Reusing dental wax is unnecessary, and it could be dangerous to your oral health in general.
Additionally, it would be best if you changed the wax daily. You can have it overnight while you sleep to protect your mouth tissues from injuries by wires, but be sure to remove the wax in the morning and put a fresh one on.
How To Apply Dental Wax To Your Braces?
Protecting your gums and mouth tissues from any damage by the orthodontic wax should be done correctly to achieve the best results. Follow these steps while you are applying the wax to your braces:
• You should first ensure that your mouth is clean by brushing it and cleaning your hands to ensure that there are no germs.
• Break a piece of the wax and roll it using your fingers until it is well pliable into the area you want to apply it.
• When the wax is pliable, flatten it well and press it on the area of irritation.
• When removing dental wax, brush it off with your toothbrush.
Dental wax is a great way to keep your mouth more comfortable and protected from the hardware in your braces. It’s important to know that this is a product that should not be reused because of the potential health concerns that can cause. Fortunately dental wax is fairly inexpensive.