Flossing has been shown to improve your oral health by 40% but studies also show that most people don’t floss. This is because it’s time consuming and can be painful for most. If you have braces then you also know that string flossing is nearly impossible.
Water flossers provide an easy alternative so that you can easily take care of your gums and teeth and avoid the pain. Here is a guide to help you pick the best water flosser for your braces.
Is A Water Flosser Better Than String Floss?
Water flossing has been shown to have a strong impact on your oral health. When compared with string flossing, it’s much more effective at reducing gum bleeding and removes 25% more plaque. Water flossing is also easier and takes less time than string flossing.
If you struggle with daily flossing because it’s painful or causes your gums to bleed than water flossing is a great way to improve your oral health. It’s also an easy way for kids to keep up on daily flossing.
The Link Between Oral Health and Overall Health
Scientist are just now starting to discover how your oral health can have a huge impact on your overall body health. Researchers at Harvard discovered that certain bacteria in your mouth can travel around your body causing problems for your heart. These bacteria can cause plaque build up in your arteries, damage your blood vessels, and can lead to a heart attack.
Studies also confirm a link between gum disease and certain respiratory diseases, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and even diabetes. There’s also been research that has shown an increased risk of preterm labor with gum disease and inflammation in the mouth.
Water Flossing Can Prevent Gum Disease
Most people struggle with bleeding gums. This is a sign that your gums are inflamed and if you don’t take steps to take care of them then that inflammation will turn into gum disease. Bleeding gums is a big reason people choose to not floss but flossing is the only way to treat your inflamed gums.
Water flossing is gentle and won’t cause your gums to bleed. Many water flossers also come with a Periodontal Tip, which is specially designed to reach 90% of 6mm periodontal pockets. You can easily remove the bacteria that causes your gums to be inflamed while successfully reducing your periodontal pockets. With just 1 minute of flossing per day you can avoid the major problems that gum disease can cause.
Who Should Use A Water Flosser?
Anyone who wants to improve their oral health should use a water flosser. There are a few groups that can further benefit from using a water flosser:
The Benefits of Using a Water Flosser for Braces
If you have braces then you know how hard it is to remove food and other debris from around your brackets and wires. It’s nearly impossible to keep them clean which can lead to plaque build up and tooth decay. That’s why the #1 recommended thing you do after getting braces is to purchase a water flosser.
Most come with a special orthodontic tip that has been designed for cleaning braces. They also have 360-degree rotating tips to reach all of your teeth. The powerful stream of water easily breaks apart plaque and food from your braces.
Things to Look for When Choosing A Water Flosser
Water flossers come with a variety of features and benefits to suit your oral health needs. When you’re trying to figure out which one is best for you, there are a few questions to keep in mind:
Keep these questions in mind when you’re going through all of the features of these water flossers. That way, you can easily pick out the best water flosser to meet your flossing needs.
What is the Best Water Flosser for Braces?
The Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser is the most popular choice for us because you get the most value for your money. It comes with 10 modes (the most for any water flosser) and a large selection of tips to meet all of your oral health needs no matter what type of braces you are wearing. And with its large water reservoir, you can be sure to get the required 90 seconds of flossing time recommended by dentists. The only drawback with this unit is that it’s not portable and quite bulky (due to the large water reservoir).
So if you’re looking for something more compact and portable, you may want to check some of the other cordless water flossers available. We also have a detailed review of the best portable water flossers.
- ADVANCED WATER FLOSSING: Aquarius is a performance water flosser model featuring enhanced pressure with 10 settings for a custom clean, massage mode for gum stimulation, plus a built-in timer/pacer pauses briefly at 30 secs and 1 min to help track flossing time.
- HIGH VOLUME RESERVOIR AND SLIM HANDLE: Holds 22 ounces for 90 seconds of use, no refilling required. Small maneuverable handle makes it easy to floss all areas including back teeth and includes a convenient water on/off switch.
- DENTIST RECOMMENDED: 9 in 10 dental professionals recommend the Waterpik brand. Waterpik is clinically proven and the first water flosser brand to earn the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance.
- KEY FEATURES: 7 tips for multiple family members and needs, 10 pressure settings (10-100 PSI), removable 22 oz reservoir (top-rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning), 90 secs of flossing time, 360 tip rotation, 120VAC/60Hz for use in North America only.
- EASY AND EFFECTIVE: The Waterpik Aquarius water flosser removes up to 99.9 percent of plaque and is up to 50 percent more effective than dental floss for improving gum health. Just fill the reservoir with warm water, place the tip in your mouth, and start flossing.
- Comes with 3 daily cleaning replacement tips for multiple users
- Timer to ensure you floss long enough
- Good for multiple users
- Convenient storage for tips
- Different pressure settings for sensitive gums
- Don’t have to hold power button down for water to stay on
- Takes time to learn how to use
- Can be messy
- Takes up a lot of space on the counter
- Noisy during operation
This is one of the most popular water flossers for a reason. It’s affordable yet comes with many different great features and options. Here are the included features so you can easily see if this is the right flosser for you.
7 Different Tips for Your Needs
Adjust the Water Pressure
You can easily adjust the water pressure with an easy to turn knob. You can start off on level 1 if you have sensitive gums and gradually work your way up to level 10. This is a good way to slowly adjust your sensitive gums to more pressure and more effective cleaning.
This comes with a 1-minute timer to let you know when you have flossed for the recommended amount of time. The timer also has a 30 second spacer so you can spend an equal amount of time on your top and bottom teeth.
Easy Tip Storage
This flosser comes with a convenient place to store all of your tips right on the unit. The storage area is also covered by the lid to keep your tips clean and free from dust. You can easily switch out your tips if you have different flossing needs or if multiple people are using this flosser.
90-Second Water Tank
This extra large capacity tank holds more than enough water for flossing. You can expect the water to last for 90 seconds on full pressure. Dentist recommend only 1 minute of flossing per day so you won’t have to refill this tank in order to finish flossing.
2 Different Flossing Modes
This water flosser comes with 2 flossing modes. Hydro-Pulse Massage Mode gently massages your gums to increase circulation and improve gum health. Floss Mode is the standard flossing mode for your daily flossing needs to remove debris and plaque.
On/Off Switch on Handle
You can easily turn the water on or off by a button on the handle. This feature makes it so you can put the flossing tip in your mouth before you turn it on to cut down on mess. You also won’t have to try to hunt around on the unit for the off button. Simply just feel the switch with your thumb and turn it on or off.
- Easy to clean the tank out
- Can floss in the shower with it
- Takes up little space on the counter
- Long battery life
- Water pressure is just right
- Can be messy
- Water tank leaks
- Unit is bulky and cumbersome
This is the perfect option if you travel because this unit is powered by a rechargeable battery. It comes with a travel case to easily store the unit, charger, and tips. It’s compact and easily fits in your toiletry bag.
Extra Large Water Tank
Water tank holds 300ML of water which will last for about 45 seconds of flossing, depending on the flossing mode it’s on. The tank is easy to take off and fill to complete the recommended 1 minute of flossing per day. The tank is also easy to clean out because of the wide opening.
Comes with 5 Tips for Your Flossing Needs
3 Cleaning Modes
You can choose from 3 different cleaning modes that provide water pressure from 30-100psi. You can start off on a lower setting and work your way up to higher pressure.
You can also preset the mode you want and it’ll stay on that mode for your daily flossing needs until you change it. This feature makes it more convenient to floss so that you don’t have to cycle through all of the modes every time you floss. It just stays on the mode you use daily.
Long Lasting Battery
It takes just 4 hours to fully charge the battery. The battery last an entire week before you need to charge it again, which is a convenient feature if you travel. The unit also comes with an auto shut off to protect it from overcharging and destroying the battery.
A popular feature for this cordless flosser is that it’s waterproof. Many people struggle with how messy a water flosser can be. An easy way to avoid the mess is to just take the unit into the shower with you and do your daily flossing while you shower.
- PORTABLE CONVENIENCE: Cordless Waterpik Water Flosser is designed for travel anywhere, use in the shower, and small bathrooms
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Removes up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas and is up to 50% more effective than string floss for improving gum health - accepted by the American Dental Association (ADA)
- NO OUTLETS, NO CHARGING: Includes 3 AA batteries (no outlets or charging needed) - assuming daily use, replace batteries every 1 to 2 months, depending on quality of batteries
- TRAVEL ACCESSORIES: For added convenience, Cordless Freedom Water Flosser includes a microfiber travel bag and a travel water plug
- FEATURES: 2 pressure settings ranging from 45 to 75 PSI, 1200 pulses per minute, 5-ounce water reservoir for 30 seconds of flossing time, 3 flossing tips, battery operated and portable
- Can use it in the shower
- Easy to replace batteries
- Easy to travel with
- You don’t need an outlet to charge it with
- Great for camping/outdoors/travel
- Hard to clean out water tank
- Water can get into battery compartment
- Runs batteries down quickly
This is a basic water flosser that works with AA batteries. It’s portable and waterproof so you can take it anywhere. It’s a good option if you travel a lot or have minimal counter space. Here are some of the features included with this flosser.
3 Tips Included
2 Pressure Settings
This water flosser has 2 pressure settings, low and high. The pressure can easily be adjusted with a switch on the handle. This is a nice feature to have if you have sensitive teeth and gums because you have the option of a lower setting.
30-Second Water Capacity
The water reservoir holds enough water for about 30 seconds of flossing on high pressure. The tank is easy to refill by simply flipping the tank open and holding it under the faucet.
Uses AA Batteries
One of the convenient features of this water flosser is that it uses AA batteries. This means you don’t have to worry about finding an outlet to recharge your flosser. You can use this camping or for travelling internationally.
Most people would agree that the one downside of water flossing is the mess it can make when you’re getting used to it. An easy way to avoid that mess is to do your flossing in the shower. This unit is waterproof which means you can take it in the shower with you and avoid the mess.
- High powered oral care: The Panasonic dental water flosser uses pulsing targeted jets of water to reach where dental floss often can't to help remove food debris, plaque and bacteria for healthier teeth and gums
- Portable design for travel: Portable water flosser with a cordless, collapsible design fits easily in bags and luggage while traveling; Use at the office, gym or while traveling on business and vacations
- Two speed pulse settings: Cordless power flosser with two speed pulsing high speed for normal, everyday cleaning, and low speed for gentler cleaning on those with sensitive gums
- Easy fill reservoir: An easy fill 5.5 ounce water reservoir lets you floss longer between fills for thorough food debris removal, providing up to 40 seconds of water flossing action. Master carton is 0.48 cubic feet
- Waterproof design: 100 percentage waterproof portable water flosser design for quick, easy rinsing and cleaning under warm, running water
- Tank is dishwasher safe
- Take it in the shower with you
- Great for international travel or camping
- Takes up little space on the counter
- Collapsible for compact storage
- Battery compartment is hard to access
- Water pressure not strong enough
- Can be messy
- Takes time to learn how to use
This is probably the most compact of the portable water flossers. It can easily fit into your purse yet still provides enough power to effectively remove built up plaque and debris. Check out these convenient features to see if this is the best water flosser for your braces.
2 Water Pressure Settings
Level 1 and 2 pressure settings to deliver up to 1,400 pulses per minute. If you have bleeding gums, you can start off on the lower speed. Your gums will adjust and you can work your way up to a higher pressure setting.
Collapsible for Compact Travel
This is one of the most popular features of this flosser. You can collapse it to about half the size so you can easily take it with you. Toss it in your purse for work or your gym bag to use at the gym. You can also easily take it to school with you in your backpack, which is a convenient option if you’re a student and need to floss regularly because of braces.
40-Second Water Tank
The water tank is easy to refill by flipping open the lid. It holds about 40 seconds worth of water for flossing. It takes only a few seconds to refill it if you need more water to finish your flossing. You can also easily remove the water tank and wash it in the dishwasher. This is a nice feature to have so you can keep the tank clean.
The entire unit is waterproof so that you can wash it. Another great option since it’s waterproof is that you can take it in the shower with you. Now, you can avoid the mess by flossing in the shower.
This operates with AA batteries so you don’t have to worry about having access to an electrical outlet. You can get about 50 minutes of use from one set of batteries. That’s almost 2 months of use if you floss once per day for the recommended amount of time.
- More compact
- Simple design
- Easier to use
- Small wand for smaller hands
- Water reservoir isn’t covered
- No tip storage
- Not powerful enough
- No pause button
This is a great option for kids with braces. It’s easy to use and has a smaller wand for smaller hands. This is a good way to motivate them to floss with all the fun they’ll be having!
20 Removable Decals
Comes with 20 removable plastic sticker decals. Your kids can have fun decorating their water flosser and making it more personal.
This unit is compatible with voltage requirements in all other countries. You can travel with this and not have to worry about buying an extra power adapter.
3 Pressure Settings
This flosser has low, medium, and high settings. You can easily adjust the water pressure by turning the knob. This feature is a good option if you have sensitive gums and teeth.
60-Second Water Tank
The water reservoir holds enough water for 60 seconds of flossing. This is the perfect amount for you to floss for the recommend 1 minute of flossing per day. The tank is easy to remove in order to refill it. You can also flip the tank over to act as a cover for the entire unit.
The entire unit with the water tank on is only 7 inches tall and can fit in the palm of your hand. This compact design is good for those with small bathrooms or who don’t have a lot of counter space.
Comes with 2 Tips
This comes with two tips, Classic and Orthodontic. The Orthodontic Tip is specially designed to help remove debris from around your braces.